Saturday, April 3, 2010

Saturday, April 3, 2010 - Charlottetown, PEI

It's morning on Prince Edward Island. I've only been here once before, many moons ago for a family camping trip. I was 15 and I remember marveling over how beautiful it was; just like it appeared in those Anne of Green Gables movies. Right now it's somewhere around 10am. The sun is just starting to break through the clouds and hitting the futon I slept on last night. Travis slept on the other half.

 

We stayed in Charlottetown with Adam from one of the local bands called Syracuse Me, who played last night's show at the Benevolent Irish Society. So far, I'm the only person awake, except for Adam and his girlfriend. I can't wait for everyone else to wake up so we can go hunt down some breakfast!

The drive over to Charlottetown, PEI was pretty smooth sailing. We drove over the Confederation Bridge to get out onto the island, which is the world's largest free-standing bridge.

 

The water stretched out so far on either side that I couldn't figure out where the sea ended and the sky began.

 

I also learned about something called the 22 degree effect when we saw a rainbow-ish halo around the sun. It apparently has something to do with being close to the North or South Pole and hexagonal ice crystals in the air. I had never seen one before, which I suppose has something to do with living in New England, and not all that close to either Pole.

 

The show went pretty well yesterday. 80 - 100 kids showed up and brought their enthusiasm with them... and their wallets - ha! A good audience and decent merch sales really does wonders to boost morale. Thus far, Canada has been very welcoming and very generous. I like Canada.

The first show of tour with Kingdoms was 2 days ago in a town called Frederiction, New Brunswick. We time travelled into the future to get there, into a time known as "Atlantic Time." I never knew this time zone existed. I guess I just didn't realize how far east the continent actually extends. There was plenty of "first day" things to take care of at the show; organize the merch, re-string and tune guitars, etc.

 

 

The audience was great! Lots of kids; some even knew the words. Over 150 people showed up. I think it's fair to call the first show a success!

 

After the show we went to a random house party, which totally reminded me of house shows in Allston, minus the actual show. Party house, people zipping around and sitting around listening to music and yelling. The party people of Fredericton are very, very into metal; it was almost a little weird.

 

 

We stayed around the corner with some super nice guys we met at the show. They made us breakfast in the morning and everything! It always amazes me how hospitable people can be, especially toward total strangers. Part of the magic of tour, I suppose.

 

Someone just hopped in the shower. I wonder if this means it's almost time for food... Man, I hope so! I shall end this blog entry here so that I can prepare for a breakfast adventure! Until next time...

No comments: