Thursday, April 22, 2010

April 22, 2010 - Part One : Bye Bye Canada and Kingdoms

I'm in Detroit right now, backstage at St. Andrew's Hall. It's the first time I've ever been to this venue. It seems pretty cool, so far. Everyone that works here is nice. The backstage almost looks like a place where Janis Joplin would have hung out in a big coat with a furry collar. Or maybe that's just me. You decide:

 

I feel like a lot has happened since my last little bloggy. We finished up the Canadian tour with Kingdoms, saw Niagara Falls, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, AP Magazine offices and began the Alexisonfire tour. That's a lot, right? Maybe I'll turn this little entry into a two-parter.

The last entry was from Oshawa, so that leaves just two shows to report on for the Kingdoms tour. The first being Sudbury, ON at the Alder Hall. Plenty of kids turned out for this show, which was awesome. The promoter who booked the show was actually an 18 year old guy, which I thought was pretty impressive. Here's a little photo from Therefore I Am's set when Hutton joined in on vocals:

 

Tour sickness is pretty much inevitable for band doods in vans. It especially stinks when it's the vocalist. Al wound up putting himself on vocal rest for a few days, meaning no talking whatsoever with the exception of performing. Sign language and sketchpads, that's all I have to say.

 

After the show in Sudbury, we drove back to London, ON to stay at Brett's house. Most of Kingdoms stayed there as well so that we could all hang together for one last night. It turned out to be a lot of fun and a new band was born by the name of "Bison Rifle." 'Twas pretty sweet. Bike Rack made a little cameo on vocals.

 

 

 

 

The next day was the last day of the tour in London, ON at a club called The London Music Hall Lounge. We had to wait a while for someone to let us into the venue to set up, so everyone killed time hanging out playing with a soccer ball and gambling for change.

 

First band of our last night, Counterparts.

 

Jim and Chuck like Counterparts.

 

... so does Bike Rack.

 

Therefore I Am played second.

 

Brendan from Counterparts hopped on stage to do the vocals for an American Nightmare cover.

 

And then it was Kingdoms' turn.

 

 

This is my favorite shot of Paul playing live from the whole tour.

 

Bike Rack stage dove... sorta.

 

Kids in the audience were going so crazy that some girl in the crowd actually lost her weave! The thing literally flew onto the stage from out of nowhere. It was hilarious!

 

... Of course, everyone had to play with it.

 

... and then, just like that, the show and the tour were over. So sad! Many hugs were exchanged, and tender lovins all around. Paul was feeling particularly affectionate... Weirdo. :)

 

I made everyone pose for the obligatory "last day of tour" photo.

 

So that was that! We camped out for the night at Brett's again in London, and hit the road to return to America! But before crossing the border, we made a stop at Niagara Falls. It was the first time that any of Therefore I Am or I had ever been.

 

We almost lost Alex. Fortunately, Brian was there to prevent catastrophe.

 

Travis and Jim discovered new lands.

 

Chris and Alex found dinner for everyone.

 

It was a great family trip. Who's cuter than us? Aaaaand why do I always look like I'm drunk when I flip the camera around to be in the picture?

 

... and then we crossed the border back into the United States, thus concluding our Canadian adventure. I didn't know what to expect out of the trip, but it was such a blast! Good crowds, short drives, and epic hangs with some awesome new friends. Kingdoms, I miss you guys already. Hooks. Deece. Snipe the tendy. Rattle your bucky. The best. :)

Stay tuned for part two, when I will fill you in on our trip to Alternative Press and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame... And Thrice. It's going to be a good bloggy!

Until then...

No comments: